Brad Appleton provided this as a reader submission. Thanks Brad!
Mike Clark gave a 2004 presentation on Pragmatic Project Automation that included a description of what he called the "CRISP" criteria for build. There is a similar description in the 2007 presentation “All Builds are Good”, and a more detailed description in this 2007 CT-SPIN presentation on project automation:
• Build from scratch and independently without human intervention.
• Must be able to create exactly the same build at a later time.
• Store build scripts in source control.
• "Detector of unexpected changes".
• Provide information on why a build failed.
• Let the builds run automatically.
• Build should be runnable from any system (same platform), not just that of the developer.
• For cross-platform software, it should build on all platforms.